Thursday, July 23, 2009

My first class

I never wanted to be a teacher. An archeologist, astronaut, train driver, even engineer (yes, I know I am boring because eventually I fulfilled that 'goal') but not a teacher in my wildest dreams. When I was in school, I always looked down upon most of my teachers since they used to be the butt of all our nasty jokes. So you can very well imagine what crossed my mind when I stepped into class to teach a room full of little energized tykes.

I was their Art teacher. I mentally pictured Aamir Khan gliding into the room dressed as a clown in 'Taare Zameen Par' and capturing every kids` attention instantly. In sharp contrast, I ventured nervously and wondered how in the name of heaven was I to attract their attention. I requested them to stay quiet - Oh don't laugh, I was trying to be a paragon of virtue ! :-) Obviously they didn't even give me a glance and continued shouting, playing, beating and pinching each other. I raised my voice slightly and managed to silence 2 kids. Hopeful now, I walked around the class for 20 minutes ordering them - 'Finger on your lips' , 'Sit straight' , 'Go and sit in your place' and I was able to get the class to certain sane levels of civilization. Mission 1 accomplished. Teacher was far from fresh.

My students were aged between 8 and 14. This was a Government Tent School and the kids were fluent in Kannada and spoke sparing English. I, on the other hand spoke sparing Kannada and good English. Not a really good start, yes! With a lot of difficulty the books, pencils and colours were produced. I started drawing a cricket bat and there was sudden silence. As I was finishing, all the kids shrieked - " Bat bat bat missss !!!! " Giving them a broad smile, I told them to start drawing in their books. Instantly , all heads bent down and the bat was copied with utter concentration. Have you ever seen tiny tots copying anything? They will do it with perfection - the bat could be drawn with few strokes but even if a single stroke exceeded the calculated length, they will erase it and resume :-) It is endearing. Try and observe next time. They coloured it and clamoured for my attention thrusting their book into my face for approval. Some kids wouldn't take their book back unless I signed off with 'Very good'. Which I love doing - I even add stars and smileys !! Why not ?? ;-)

I drew a few more simple things which they obediently replicated in their notebooks and coloured it brilliantly - A dog, India Flag, Car, Pine-apple. Everytime I started , all the kids would stare at the board wide-eyed and attempt to outbeat one another by guessing what I was drawing. Competitive spirit sets in early truly. Art class is one where the kids never get bored. I don't take any credit here, I think generally all kids enjoy toying with colours. I speak from experience because I sure did !! Finally I drew a cat. All the kids chorused - " BEKKU BEKKU " !!! I heard it as " Ducku Ducku ". Staring hard at my cat , I tried to figure out why the kids were calling it a Duck. I erased the cat and re-drew. Again the same chant - "BEKKU BEKKU ". I was stumped for a minute and my friend came to my rescue by explaining that Cat in Kannada is Bekku. It was enlightening to me , not to mention embarassing ! :-)

I am only a part-time teacher but I am truly happiest when I am surrounded by these little angels who really deserve a better life. I shall write my other experiences with these kids and fellow volunteers as every single one of them deserves a mention!

Posted by Rohitha Bhushan

No comments:

web counter code